Sunday, January 28, 2007

Version 2.4 released

I've had a lot of spare time recently to work on the alarm clock. Why have I had so much spare time? Because an ice storm hit the city that I live in and knocked out power for nearly the entire city. My apartment lost power as well, and it took 2 weeks to get it back! I spent those 2 weeks at my parents house, and at my girlfriend's parents house. There wasn't a whole lot to do of course, so I sat around and coded.

During this time I managed to add 2 new features to the alarm clock that I've been wanting to do for a long time, but have been putting off for some reason. The first thing I did was give the application a proper preferences panel. A standard one with buttons at the top, like this:


The second feature (which is a bit obvious from the image above) is automatic software updates. I've been meaning to get around to this for so long, but never got the chance. Well now it's implemented. In the future, when updates are released, users will automatically be notified, and the downloads can be downloaded and installed with a few clicks!

1 comment:

Elena Neill said...

I can relate to storms hitting power lines; however, the storms in my hometown are not that severe, but they do disrupt power in various areas of the city, and it does not take weeks, but a matter of hours before restoration of power is obtained. However, you did have some time to work on your alarm clock, and because of their low cost, American alarm clocks are not designed to extensive repairs. Many of these clocks can be restored to good running condition at a minimum cost in both time and money.