Tuesday, April 11, 2006

How about a new name?

Many people have asked me, "Why do you call your product simply 'Alarm Clock'?" The answer is that when I started working on it, it was an obvious name and I figured I'd think of a clever name for it later. But I never did come up with a name I liked, and finally released it to the public with the same generic name. Some people like it. They say it's a simple name for an easy-to-use program. Other people think it's a silly name, and it makes the product look bad. So I wonder what YOU think of the name. Do you like it? Do you dislike it? Does it not matter? Do you have any ideas for an alternate name?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are a few,
iSnooze
alarMAClock
awaken

Robbie Hanson said...

Those are some good suggestions.
Awaken is already taken however.

iSnooze is being used too, but for a windows product... so I don't know if it counts. It uses the same idea, where an app runs in the system tray.

Anonymous said...

Add a sleep timer and it can be called "Insomnia"

Robbie Hanson said...

Insomnia!
That's an interesting suggestion! I'll keep it in mind.

Jeff said...

What I love about it is that it simply does one thing really right. AlarmClock is a fine name, and expresses an attitude about software which I for one like.

Anonymous said...

I can't really see the silly thing about the name AlarmClock, I can however see the simple.

It obvious and states precisely what you're going to get when downloading and installing it. That's what a name should do, especially in such a cluttered world the internet is.

Robbie Hanson said...

I'm glad to see that a lot of people like the name.

Jeff: I agree with you. I've always appreciated software that did one thing perfectly. Many times I've seen good software go bad because the developers tried to tack on too many features!

Annonymous: An excellent point! There are a lot of apps out there with some crazy names.