Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Version 2.2.5 released

I just released a new version. I was going to add a few more things, and release this version later, but I found an OS X bug (on Intel only) that required an immediate patch. There were two major changes in this release:

1. "Implemented work-around for OS volume bug that affects intel macs immediately after waking from sleep."
When an alarm goes off, one of the first things the alarm does is execute a core audio call to set the system volume. For some reason, these calls don't work on Intel macs if they are executed shortly after the system wakes from sleep. The effect is that if the alarm clock wakes the computer from sleep to sound an alarm, the volume may not be properly set, and thus may not be loud enough to wake the user. I'm not sure if this happens on every Intel mac, but I received word of 2 confirmed cases, which was enough for me to classify it as a class-A bug, and scramble to release an immediate patch. Stability is key. This problem is now solved, as AC will continually set the volume during the alarm.

2. "Alarm Editor now properly badges close button during editing."
That is, if the alarm gets changed, the app will put the black dot in the red close button to indicate it's been changed and hasn't been saved. This is common in many apps, and AC now follows suite. If the user tries to close the window when there is unsaved changes, they are prompted to save their work. This helps as several users have stated that they sometimes close the alarm editor windows with the red button, and don't know if it's been saved or not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fine job you've done and continue to do with this program. As a user I'd like to submit for your consideration a couple of small things that would help me. One is an alarm for a certain length of time rather than a certain time of day. That would help me with some tape copying I'm doing and would prevent trying to add the time. Another small point I'd like to see is for the OK button to accept the enter or return keyboard button rather than having to actually click it. But I sure enjoy this program and I applaud you for your good and generous work and contribution. Have a good day and God bless. John W

Anonymous said...

Hi Robbie,

this is Holger from Germany.

I really like this tool and use it quite often. I've got a tiny suggestion for a next version, too. It would be great, if Alarm Clock could offer the last alarm sound as the default sound for the next new alarm (if the file still exist).
Would be really fine.

Thanks

Robbie Hanson said...

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys. Sorry it took me a while to respond, I've been rather busy with school lately.

John - I hear you loud and clear. I'm working on something for 2.3 that will easily allow you to do what you want.

Holger - Interesting idea. I will certainly look into it.